Friday, October 1, 2010

mmm, it's fall. and i love it.

As I was riding my bike back home from a long day a school, I couldn’t help but smile. The air was crisp, there was a light breeze, and I was wearing a long-sleeved shirt and didn’t sweat while riding my bike. So many reasons to smile.

Fall is one of those times of year that I absolutely love. The changing of the seasons is filled with newness. Perhaps that’s why I love it so much.

Now, my posts aren’t going to be nearly as cool because I’m not in the amazing city of Florence anymore, but life moves on—and I feel that it’s good to share life-things with those of you who still want to read about it.

My last post was in February. That’s a long time ago.

Here’s a quick synopsis of my life:

Since February, I’ve arrived safely back into the United States. I babysat almost all summer for some wonderful families back at home, and then I came back to Elon to finish out my senior year.

Sheesh. Senior Year? It’s come so fast. How it got to this point, I don’t know.

Since I’ve been back at Elon, I’ve realized a few life-things.

For example:

I really love my friends.

-This semester I moved back into O’Kelly and have been blessed with 4 new amazing roommates. These women are up for anything. They are lively, vivacious, caring, supportive and SO much fun. I couldn’t ask for better roomies.

The florence friends that I made while abroad are still so near and dear to my heart. I love love love spending time with all of them. It truly warms my heart. Also, my sweet signature ladies will always keep me young at heart. love them to pieces.


I miss singing.

-In August, I found through a doctor’s appointment that I have a hemorrhage on my right vocal cord. Since I found out, I haven’t been able to sing. No singing. At all. If you know me at all, you know that this is next to impossible for me. The first two weeks after I was ‘diagnosed,’ I literally had to slap myself every so often so that I wouldn’t sing. I sing in the shower, to the kids I’m babysitting for, with songs on the radio… basically, I sing all the time.

When I found out that I couldn’t sing, it really left me feeling somewhat lonesome inside. I am literally counting down the days until my next doctor’s appointment. Hopefully, then, the hemmorhge will have healed, and then I can sing again! :)

However, I feel that I've learned to appreicate what I've always taken for granted. My ability to express joy through song.

I have no idea what I’m going to be when I grow up.

-I called my mom in a frizzy this year, trying to talk through options of what I’m going to do when I “grow up.” It’s insanity for me to think that at this time next year, I NEED to have a job. And, preferably one that I love. That’s why I’m meeting with a career counselor. Ha. Hopefully this will help.

Sometimes, I just like to think of all the different types of jobs that I want to try.

PR Practitioner? Farmer? Scuba Diver? Barista? Missionary? Doctor? Marketer?

I feel that my mind tends to wander, sometimes creatively, about what my future would be like under each of these categories. Sometimes, the un-sureness is fun. Sometimes, it’s extremely frustrating. However, I’ve decided to let it be fun for now.

I love not having 8am classes anymore. I actually feel rested during the day. I didn’t know that could happen.

I love some of the small things in life.

Example: writing on bananas. This sounds weird. But try it, and you’ll know what I mean. Grab a pen, and write on the peel of the banana. It’s so smooth.

I’m convinced that instead of sending my kids off to school with a letter in their lunchbox, it will be a banana… with lots of writing on it. I think they will like that. Unless they hate bananas. Humm.

Also, Shea introduced me to edamame. You should try them. Yumm.

Tandem Biking. is SO fun. Ellie has a tandem bike, and when you ride it—you can’t help but die laughing. Probably because you think you’re going to die, but it’s so much fun at the same time. Plus, when you go tandem biking, people look at you like they’ve just seen a ghost. It’s fun.

I love researching opportunities for going back abroad after graduation. I really want to go overseas again after I graduate—because, I figure, if I don’t do it now, I don’t know when I will get the chance to ever again. This is the prime time of my life. Gotta take advantage of it. So, sometimes, I waste loads of time on the internet exploring options. If you have suggestions, send ‘em my way!

I love thinking about FALL things too. Pumpkin picking, pumpkin pies, hay rides, corn mazes, candy corn. Anything fall, I’m excited about.

Though my life isn't full of adventures to Venice, Rome, or Paris--there are still exciting things, even if they do seem small.


Don't let the small things pass you by today. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Designed by Lena Graphics by Elie Lash